Yes, a BCA student can become a software engineer, but to be a software engineer BCA students have to complete their 2-year master’s program. If you have technical skills or any diploma courses then you are a software engineer already. so if someone asks can a BCA student become a software engineer then the answer is yes…
After completing BCA. Mainly students go for M.C.A.Many companies hire a little professional certificate to get a job placement.
Can a BCA Student Become a Software Engineer
The Bachelor of Computer Applications or BCA is a three-year undergraduate program that is equivalent to a Bachelor of Technology course. BCA is designed to produce graduates who have the necessary skills and knowledge not only in computer and information technology, but also in communication, organization, and management.
Students who study BCA are very well versed in programming languages such as Java, C+, HTML, and SQL.
They are also quite knowledgeable in various computer applications and the latest developments in IT and communication systems.
BCA comprises four divisions :
- Soft skills& Personality Development,
- Basic Mathematics & Logic building,
- Core computing technologies and
- Project work (applying knowledge).
Most institutions follow this routine structure. To encourage students to take up careers of their choice, some institutes in private universities have introduced certificate courses. Since the Universities can update the syllabus, new subjects can be introduced at par with industry requirements. This can help students to keep abreast with changing technologies.
- How is online learning affecting students | Impact of online classes on students (Updated 2022)
- Can a BCA Student Become a Software Engineer
- Can a student get a credit card | Credit Card
- Is it worth studying abroad for Indian students
The following justification may inspire a lot of students aspiring for a non-Engineering IT career. This will also guide a lot of students to become aware of such a course which can be a stepping stone to any career of their choice.
n First, a large number of IT companies are diverting their choice from BE graduates to BCA graduates, because they claim that, BCA graduates are capable of doing the most kind of jobs that BE graduates have been doing so far. A significant point is, that there are a lot of opportunities and demand in the IT industry specifically for BCA graduates, who will be sharing the work along with Engineering graduates on the same projects.
This point also gives an impression that BCA graduates are more reliable for the jobs they have been recruited for.
- The Companies will start recruiting BCA freshers as soon as they step into their fifth semester. Further, the number of Engineering graduates every year in Karnataka State is counted in lakhs and their employability is hardly 15 to 20 percent. The rest of the Engineering graduates will be doing the jobs in which they are not specialised.
- Second, if you have an inclination towards Computers, you will have a lot of fun time which can fulfill your desires in three years.
- Third, a few core subjects coupled with a few certificate courses deliver a lot of skills to elevate your interests in developing gaming software and animation. Such specialized certificate courses come in handy to a BCA student over other non-IT degree students.
- Fourth, if you are looking for a decent job in the software industry immediately after the BCA degree, you require developing that extra bit of programming skills. That can lead you to jobs like software developer, software test engineer, etc. Further, you can also find jobs like Technical support engineer, Technical Writer, Web Designer, Software Sales Engineer, and many more.
- a few core subjects on computer networks coupled with network certifications like Cisco certified CCNA, Microsoft certified MCSE, etc., can provide high-paid challenging jobs and research options in the Networking domain as Network Engineer, Server Administrator, etc., at various levels.
- Sixth, the workshops are conducted periodically on various newer technologies including Mobile Application (Apps) development, device-independent programming languages, cloud computing, etc. Students are encouraged to develop mobile applications, Robot building, Web-designing, and other interesting domains, outside their regular coursework. These mini projects will be a valuable addition to their Resume for a bright future. Any smart project may also attract Top-tier companies like Google, Facebook, Yahoo, and many more, to hire you.
- Seventh, if you are not a core programmer, and you still are passionate about computers, any job under the sun that requires/uses computer technologies can be yours. For instance, Banks, Fashion Designing, Sound Engineering, Advertising, Marketing, Billing & Inventory, BPO, and many other industries in various verticals, need Computers and knowledge of Computer Applications. BCA graduate has all these options open and calling. A graduate from BCA is also eligible to join armed forces like Army, Navy, and Air-force by applying for Combined Defence Services (CDS) entrance examination
- Eighth, if you have a dashing plan to set up your own enterprise, a BCA degree will give you that technological edge that an entrepreneur should have. BCA can be a foundation for pursuing MBA with a technological backup.
As icing on the cake, the top IT companies hire BCA graduates and also encourage them to pursue their post-graduation, MS degree from BITS-Pilani or Vellore Institute of Technology, which are fully sponsored. This will give a leading edge to BCA students to start an IT career and also continue with their higher studies at prestigious institutions. It not only gives a handsome job with salary but also the required Post-graduation from reputed Universities and most important, experience.
A few well-known colleges provide Certificate courses, some of them are mandatory and some of them are optional. Industry visits are organized for students to understand the industry culture. Some colleges conduct regular workshops, certified courses on networking, mobile application development, and IT Fests which are very popular among the student community.
Problems may arise as a BCA student
Doing a BCA from an open university is hard to get a job as a BCA student. Some companies don’t prefer open university students. If you want to go in technical then you have to have some technical skills like full stack web development, backend, and front end but for the un-technical skill, you will get the job on any basis.
Some companies don’t prefer second-division students. After experience still, some companies have certain criteria for the job you can see on their job announcement letter.
But after the experience, you will become eligible for most of the companies.
- do Bca from regular university. Don’t go for an open university. Don’t be sad, if you did BCA from an open university. Do MCA from a regular university. You will face problems in some companies. And I gave you a guarantee that after 3 or 4 years of experience they will call you for a job opportunity and I know that you will not entertain that company because they offer very less salary to their employees.
- Try to take campus placement. If you lose this opportunity. It is very hard to take a job in the market because every company wants experienced workers. One more thing, in campus placement, you have to fight with a very less number of students but in the market, you have to fight with more candidates.
- Focus on programming skills and communication skills.
- MCA is not a bad course. You will get a job.
I hope this will help you Thanks.